Thursday, July 21, 2011

Technology always beats me

Here's where I have to admit to being totally technologically challenged. I got my new phone today, and it's all good - I will probably need another university degree to work out all of the different parts of it, but it looks and behaves very well.

In setting up my gmail account and facebook on my phone tonight, I read a message from Maggie in Melbourne regarding the use of one of my pics.

So because I'm prone to being quite wordy I figured I would send an email from my computer - bigger buttons and all, plus I can type as opposed to pressing tiny buttons - only now I can't find where the message was or what her email address was (or more importantly whether I may have inadvertently deleted it)

Maggie you said you had added me to your favourites so I'm hoping you're checking in today to read this post. Yes you can use the pic of Renmark and if you need any more (being that half of my family now live in Renmark) please leave a comment and I will respond. How embarassing is it when technology gets in the way of communication. I'm sure that it won't be the first thing that I delete or lose as I learn how to use my new toy.

My part in the project is definitely educating me on the finer points of communication and just how much it can affect the outcome of any meeting, conversation or happening. Lets face it, some of us are good at communicating, some of us just open our mouths and give no thought to what flows out, some of us just talk for the sake of talking and some of us just plain suck at it.

There is an art to communicating well - with the most important components being to listen to what the other person is saying and also allowing ourselves to stand in the other persons shoes and imagine how they are receiving our message.

Communication is going to be a huge part of my life for the next few years in my new role (not that it hasn't always been) but especially so now. Reading and writing are my two favourite things in the whole world and are important forms of communicating, as much as verbal communication.

So maybe I'll be sharing more of my thoughts on the process of communicating and doing it well. Not that I always get it right, but I have at least learnt to stop and consider more carefully before I let it all spill out. What about you do you have problems with words that just erupt from nowhere?

Cheers, Fi

Speak when you are angry - and you'll make the best speech you'll ever regret. ~ Dr. Laurence J. Peter

4 comments:

  1. Great advice and I look forward to hearing more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for providing necessary information. I really appreciate , its all such a good information.Thanks...............

    ReplyDelete
  3. This Blog is going places, the people, the layout, amazing to see such dedication and focus.

    Setup VPN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. VPN Creative - Thanks for the comment - probably one of the nicest I've received

      Delete

Everyone has something valuable to say and I would love for you to share your thoughts