Monday, July 18, 2011

Out of step on the merry-go-round of life

Back to the grindstone today - it was a bit hard to get back into the swing of things when my sleep patterns got all messed up on the weekend.

My day started off with an interesting topic that I was listening to on the radio on my way to work this morning. It's amazing the things you learn about and hear.

The topic this morning though got my stomach churning and then got my mind spinning when I considered that maybe I was behind the times; way, way behind the times.

Believe me when I say that I've had several occasions lately when I've been forced to consider how out of step I am with things happening in the world. The subject this morning though (and I hope you're not eating while you're reading this post) was about keeping the placenta from your babys' birth and eating it.

Okay I've heard about burying it under a tree and the like, but they were talking this morning about the rising popularity of 'placenta parties' and cooking it up in all different forms. For starters I'm not a huge meat eater and secondly my meat has to be well and truly dead on the plate with not a skerrick of blood to be seen before I can eat it. The thought of eating a placenta (which is supposed to be like liver) is just not on my list of things I should try or even want to try.

So I accept the fact that maybe I'm really out of step with the latest trends and things that are supposed to be good for you - but in this case I'm quite happy to be like this. Added to my list of being out of step - apparently things like pilchers or 'fluffies' which were exceptionally popular when my children were young are now nowhere to be found.

The saleswoman at Target the other day looked at me like I had two heads when I explained what I was looking for. Thankfully a young mum overheard the conversation and knew what I was talking about and said that cloth nappies now come all as one with the pants built in, so things like pilchers or waterproof pants to go over cloth nappies are very hard to find as in almost non-existent.

Then I went to a nightclub on Friday night (yes nanna in a nightclub - how old did I feel?) which added to feeling out of step with the world. Riding a mechanical bull in a nightclub with a miniskirt and no knickers under my stockings - mmm so glad I missed that trend.

So how 'bout you, what have you had happen lately that left you feeling out of step with the merry-go-round of life?

Cheers, Fi

Everyone rides on the merry go round of life, but very few ever take the chance at the brass ring! ~ Kevin Veitch

4 comments:

  1. Ah yes, the eat the placenta trend. I have a friend whose wife just had a baby and that's what she is doing.

    I think not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha too funny Fi. I didn't even want to look at my placentas, let alone eat them, blech! And I'm still cracking up about the mini skirt with tights & no knickers-wearing girl riding a mechanical bull - that would've been quite a sight! I am happy to feel old if that's the dress code for the young!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well if you feel out of step with life imagine how I feel! I've never heard of anything so gross!!! Thank heavens GDIL isn't a trend setter!

    Loved the photo you sent home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, yeah thats gross...I don't think your out of step, I think it is just weird. I have heard about the burying under a tree for added fertilization and such but eating it? Ick. Everytime we go "out" to a night club I just feel so out of place and think my god, I am too old for this!

    ReplyDelete

Everyone has something valuable to say and I would love for you to share your thoughts