Monday, April 11, 2011

Follow me, or not!

I follow a number of well written, entertaining and interesting blogs, I follow them because I like the content. I find myself intrigued by how many blogs I visit which have comments along the lines of 'I'm following you, please follow me back' What's this all about? It's almost like saying I like you and want to be your friend, so please be my friend back.

You can't make people like you, you can only be yourself and people will either like you or they won't. I certainly don't expect those blog owners that I follow, to follow me back. I would hope that people that follow my blog do so because they like what I have to say, and if they don't well so be it. I can't force it.

My blog is purely for me, it's where I write about what interests me, what amuses me, what annoys me and basically where I voice my opinion. I love that people get something from it but that's just an added bonus.

I'm sure that there are some people who may be enraged by what I've written here, but so be it. Before you leave a mindless comment on a blog why not put some thought into what you write and instead respond to what the person is posting, then they are more likely to come and visit your site of their own volition.

Same when you talk to people, listen to what people are saying to you, don't just wait for your turn to speak. Engage in the conversation because that's the key to winning friends and influencing people (one of my fave books)

It all comes down to communication. We talk to people to discover more or to have our own say on something they might have said or done, so why should it be any different on a blog. Be individual and be true to yourself, both are the keys to being a good communicator and becoming the sort of person that people want to be friends with.

Can I just point out, to all of those who do comment on my blog - I love your comments (both here and on Facebook) and I appreciate the value you contribute to what I write. As a blogger it's nice to know that you are reaching people and that they value what you say. No 'follow me back comments on my blog', and maybe that says something, or not.

Don't ask people to follow you or expect others to like you, give them a reason to want to follow you or be a friend with great content and intelligent and thoughtful communication.

Would love to hear others thoughts on this practice, be they good or bad, agreeing with me or not - everyone is entitled to an opinion.

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.~ Herman Melville

3 comments:

  1. Darn I just lost my lovely post in response to your blog today in cyber space. I so hate when that happens. So to let you know I agree with your blog totally. It is strange to have someone ask to follow. Did they even read the content I just wrote? I love comments as well. I find blogging a great way to express and grow much like you. I think a following is nice but not if your not reading it then it is a numbers game. Im here for the pure joy and pleasure of growing and expressing a well as learning a bit on the way. I choose those I follow because I love their content and who they are. Or for learning and growing as there are so many sites on growing and learnign as well.
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. the behavior you are describing has nothing really to do with the sole purpose of blogging. they wish to establish themselves in the blogoshpere by positioning themselves higher in the hiearchy, by creating this false network, where webcrawlers will pick them up and bring more traffic on their blogs, which usually is quite commercial, with plenty of ads, bringing them money. or it is a total ego thing....

    i love blogging and i am sometimes alone, but i keep on blogging, because i love this mean of communication. making my mark on this world in my own way.

    good luck to you too!!
    :)~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you guys, I think we all blog for the right reasons - not just to get numbers.

    Thanks for dropping by and commenting

    ReplyDelete

Everyone has something valuable to say and I would love for you to share your thoughts