Thursday, June 21, 2012

When the fog lifts....

…everything seems clearer and the words come.

I drove onto the Southern Expressway this morning to drive to work and was relieved to see the fog of the previous few days has lifted. While it still shrouded the city off in the distance, it was not the pea soup of the last few days. I could see in front of me and around me.
The rain fell steadily on my drive to work this morning; it was raining when I closed my eyes last night and it was still falling this morning when they re-opened. Up to 60mm fell across the city overnight with another 40mm expected today. Rain washes everything away, refreshes and cleanses everything in its path (although I still prefer sunshine)

Have you ever considered how much life is like a weather metaphor? My fog has lifted and today the words flow again, tumbling over themselves in my head this morning as I was driving in to work. Blog posts and story ideas – words, sentences, and thoughts all free flowing through my mind like the paths of rainwater cascading down my windscreen.

I’m not too keen on negative, miserable people – life is too short for wasted emotions. I don’t like being that person either, yet my words on the pages here recently have been shrouded in that fog. The words of someone who needed to wash away the bad stuff and get on with the good stuff.

I turned off the computer early last night and read more pages of The Intuition Principle by Angela Artemis. I’m only about a third of the way through but this book includes a basic meditation, it’s something I need to practice more and get better at because when my mind is quiet it keeps the fog at bay. I slept like a log last night, woke up with a sore ear because I don’t think I moved much at all.

I have my next book to read lined up in my wish list on Amazon, an e-book called The Artist’s Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity, by Julia Cameron . I read a review on Cate’s blog a while ago and went and had a peek on Amazon at what the book is about. From what I’ve read so far of it through the example pages, it will follow on nicely from the Intuition book, similar concepts and great motivating actions.

So what helps you break through the fog - meditation, writing, reading? I’d love to hear what works for you.
Cheers, Fi


5 comments:

  1. Nothing makes me feel more renewed than a rainy day. It's funny you mentioned this because, even though my blog is a place I sometimes shed off the negative, I was thinking of not posting in July. It's a very bad month for me and I've shed much misery during it in the past. I was thinking of giving myself an 'if you can't write something positive don't write at all' rule for the month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a pretty good rule and one that I should be following also.

      Delete
  2. Breaking the fog can come in a variety of forms for me, and sometimes it's a matter of trial and error. My "go-to" ideas are reading, writing, and yoga. Sometimes a really good cry works well, to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a recently new devotee of yoga and find that I love it. Reading and writing - I think I'd go crazy without them

      Delete

Everyone has something valuable to say and I would love for you to share your thoughts