Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The moment of truth

Today, just another day - but also the day my middle MM hit the road solo as a licensed driver. Arrggh! Just another reminder of what old age looks like.

I swear it only seemed like yesterday that I was driving solo for the first time on my own.

How can a half hour sitcom bring tears to your eyes? Home and Away is back on the television for 2012 and Charlie is dying, gunshot wound - because Summer Bay must be the worst place in the world to live because every crazy person and natural disaster happens in this tiny little town on a regular basis.

Make believe towns and cities can be like that and crazy people make those stories even more entertaining, unfortunately real life can often be like that too.

Books, movies, television shows they suck us in and tell us a story and we believe, even for a short time. Some of those stories are so far removed from reality, but it's a moment of sharing someone else's joy or pain or loss which reels us in. These stories can also encourage us to dream and believe in a better life or alternatively appreciate what we do have when others seem to have so little.

Then there's the stories which are true and based on real life and they hit harder than most, because there's no just finishing the story and thinking that was well written and entertaining. It's fact and it stays in our minds. I'm reading a book like that at the moment and the author is a regular visitor here so she knows who she is.

I'm in awe at the strength of this person and what she has endured and the positive outlook she has on life today. It makes you realise that all of us have a choice to make our lives better, we are the masters of our own destiny. We truly can be anyone we want to be.

As I read her story I realise how incredibly blessed and lucky I am in my own life and also how much I've learnt through knowing her.

Do you ever sit down to write something and get totally off track from what you planned on writing. This is that post and my fellow bloggers would probably understand this problem better than most. I believe it's a frequent ailment suffered by bloggers, well by me at least.

So from the blog post that ran away from me and wrote itself, let me now ask this question - who in your life inspires you to dream and why is it they inspire you?

I'm off to read some more...

Cheers, Fi

The truth is that our finest moments are most likely to occur when we are feeling deeply uncomfortable, unhappy or unfulfilled. For it is only in such moments, propelled by our discomfort, that we are likely to step out of our ruts and start searching for different ways or truer answers ~ M Scott Peck

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Fi.

    Your words and spirit touch my heart and inspire it to beat in wild, passionate unison with LIFE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Who in your life inspires you to dream and why is it they inspire you" We were just talking about this last night at the small group that I go to on Monday nights. You have inspired me to dream of course! And then my husband, family, close friends and one of my old mentors. And it boils down to they believe in me, they are truly happy for my successes, they hold me accountable.

    ReplyDelete

Everyone has something valuable to say and I would love for you to share your thoughts