Sunday, January 1, 2012

Creating family memories

Seven days, two teenage boys, hubby and me in a car travelling to the South East of South Australia - mmm hmm it's going to be an adventure. 

Seriously, I am looking forward to getting away. We haven't been away as a family for such a long while.

Tomorrow night we have a motel room booked at Kingston and then we'll play it by ear from there (me, the controlled and organised one who plans everything) 

We're taking the boat and our camping gear so we'll go with the flow and stay whever the mood hits us. Then we plan to finish up in the Riverland with my family next weekend. So you may see me around here in the next week and you may not.

I've set up my blog for posting from my mobile phone (not sure how good that will be) and I'll have my laptop - but you know how it is, I may post and I may not. It's going to be a little bit of a culture shock not to be posting every day but hubby is a little bit funny (and not the ha ha kind of funny) about electronics and blogging and the amount of time the boys and I 'waste'. Besides my focus will be on family time.

Fishing, boating, swimming, relaxing - yeah someone has to do it. I'm sure that I will have plenty of photos to share.

Here's a sample of where we will be going and what we will be doing over the next week, firstly we'll head south from Adelaide and down the coast...


Kingston - the first stop we will make is Kev's Tractor Collection (hubby has an obsession with tractors - well all machinery actually, so no escaping this place no matter how much I wish we could) But this should put hubby in a nice mellow mood for the remainder of the journey - it's the only place he really, really wants to visit.


Then in Mt Gambier we will visit the Blue Lake - yes, it really is meant to be as blue as the pictures show, something to do with calcium carbonate and warming of the layers - I'm sure I'll learn more when I visit. It's a lake located within several extinct volcanic craters.


and we'll visit the Princess Margaret Rose Caves


and we will visit everything in between and along the way. There's meant to be plenty of rock pools, caves, beaches, lakes and national parks, so I'm super excited. I'm almost tempted to phone the boss and say I might be a little longer on holidays. It's only me that has to be back for work on the 11th, the rest of the family will still be on holidays. Not too well planned that one

From Mt Gambier then we'll head north to the Riverland and Renmark and have a 'belated Christmas' with my family. Yes mum I'm coming, we're just taking the scenic, long route to get there.

So the next week is about family time, relaxation and the great outdoors. Three of my favourite things in the whole world. Hope you have a sensational start to the New Year and as Arnie famously once said 'I'll be back', just not sure when.

Cheers, Fi

When you look at your life, the greatest happinesses are family happinesses. ~ Joyce Brothers

8 comments:

  1. Looks like you have a great trip planned.

    I love your final quote.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The caves look awesome! Hope you take lots of pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good work Fi, have a great time. We are heading off tomorrow round that way also, just not the Riverland part. See you when you get back xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That's sounds like a wonderful trip. Have fun and drive carefully.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have fun and be safe! Looks like you will have an amazing trip. Can't wait to hear all about it and see the pics! Talk to you when you get back. Enjoy your time with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you have a lovely time! Looks like a great trip to me. We enjoy the stay where the mood hits us method too. We find a lot of cool things that way : )

    ReplyDelete

Everyone has something valuable to say and I would love for you to share your thoughts