Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Be what you want to be....

Today I read a post which put song lyrics in my head and now they won’t go away. So it’s only fair that you have those lyrics in your head too. 

Here is me showing my age when I mention the song “It’s because I love you” by Masters Apprentices. Maybe some of my non-Aussie readers don't even know the song I'm talking about.

The song line that won’t get out of my head is the chorus “Do what you want do, be what you want to be … yeah”

We should all be doing what we want to do and being what we want to be. Life is too short after all to be doing something we don’t want to be doing or being who we think others want us to be. Now try saying that sentence quickly several times.

Yesterday was my first day back at work after a nice Christmas break which was nowhere near long enough. I was greeted with the news as I walked in the door that one of our co-workers had died on Christmas Day from a sudden and unexpected medical emergency.

While she wasn't someone who I worked with directly, I knew her in passing; I’d spoken to her at times over the two years that I’ve been at the corporate office. She was a mother with a 12 year old son, which was what made my heart clench with despair. 

It makes the reality of doing what we want to do and being what we want to be even more important. Life can end in a heartbeat, one fatal moment and it’s all gone.
 
My responsibility bone (as opposed to my funny bone) is too strong for me to simply throw caution to the wind and run off to join the local circus or a hippy commune. I couldn't simply forget about everything and everybody, but my ‘do what I want to do, be what I want to be’ determination is growing bigger and stronger on a daily basis.

This theme has become somewhat recurring over the last few months. That's why 2013 is my year to become who I want to be and do what I want to do. Working to simply pay the bills, going crazy with stress and worry over silly things? Really, is it all worth it when tomorrow may never come? 

So, are you doing what you want to do and being what you want to be? Why not start today, one small step is all it takes to begin.

I'm linking up with Josie for her Two Shoes Tuesday writing prompt 'earworm' - definition a song or melody that keeps repeating in one's mind

 
Here's the link to that song that won't get out of my head.


9 comments:

  1. I am sorry to hear about your co-worker, Fi.

    I DO feel I am working on being who I want to be. I'm in the fine tuning portion of that now. I've found what I want to do professionally, and I am working on being the best teacher I can be. Now the big thing is finding a balance between work and home. It is hard to fill all the roles I want to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen - I always feel your passion for teaching in your words. Your positivity in light of the health challenges that you and Dan face is simply amazing - you are one of my greatest inspirations :-)

      You need to come first and then the rest will fall into place - believe and it will be

      Delete
  2. I love this post and I love that song, Fi... it's motivating! I am still a work in progress when it comes to doing and being what I want. Work is still a stumbling stone. I hope you do wonderfully with following your heart this year! You should add this post to my Two Shoes Tuesday blog hop, the theme today is about songs that replay in your head... perfect! Here's the link. http://www.josie2shoes.com/2013/01/two-shoes-tuesday-19-earworm.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that - a work in progress, that's me too Josie

      Delete
  3. That is so sad about your co-worker Fi -- that is our cycle of life on earth, endings and beginnings, beginnings and endings, and the circle of love goes on in infinite wonder.

    and yes, I am living the life I dreamed of... but there is so much more dreaming within me yet to unfold!

    Love the song. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today I read about a lady who was 65 when she started her 'new' career as a personal trainer. Yep we all have heaps of dreaming still to do.

      Glad you're living the life you dreamed of, keep dreaming

      Delete
  4. Often working does help to do the things you always dream of. I don't say we are two faced but work is a means to fulfill your dreams. Find the other you and be that person...not necessarily a Jekyll and Hyde but certainly one that others might say "Who would have believed that Fiona...?" I'll leave you to fill in the blanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I'm doing, searching for the other me

      Delete
  5. I like it! Nice earworm, I like aussie music. My sister listens to alot of it and sends them to me. Very sorry about your co-worker, that's sad to hear....
    I just try to get the most out of my day as I can. Happy New Year! I hope it is a good one! : )

    ReplyDelete

Everyone has something valuable to say and I would love for you to share your thoughts