Sunday, March 18, 2012

In the heart of the individual

There's a saying that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so too then success is in the heart of the individual. Today I experienced several moments of success - well to me they were important.

I discovered how to fix my problem with viewing on-line video posts, given enough reason, any solution can be found. My mum sent me a link and provided the reason to fix it instead of tolerating it or ignoring it which I have been doing.

It was worth it, because that link is to a video and provides some of the answer to a question that I've been trying to understand for many years. That question is about what I want to be when I grow up, or the question could be what training course I next want to participate in to get me to that career goal I have but can't quite define.

Because while it would be nice, I don't think I'm ever going to earn a life sustaining income from this blog in it's current format. I've mentioned several times before that my 'current job' will expire in roughly three years time when the project is finished and while I'm reasonably confident that they would offer me something else within the company, I'm also pretty certain that it won't be in the direction which I want to go.

Thanks mum - many things to explore as a result of an interesting video link and once I get my head around it then I'll likely share it here with you guys.

One more thing which made me laugh this weekend...

I discovered if you want to get educated - then you need to listen to teenagers talk because they speak an entirely different language. My son had a post on his facebook page last night from a girl who calls herself his biffle - my mummy radar shot up here, what the hell is a biffle?

If you google 'biffle' you discover that it's "One's BFFL, or Best Friend For Life, it's supposed to be the opposite sex, whom one is JUST friends with, and wouldn't ever date."

As a result of my ignorance, I discovered this amazing link called Urban Dictionary, which is described as offering a daily dose of "useful translations" of hipster talk. I am so much more educated now.

Is it just me or is the divide between parents and teenagers bigger today than it ever used to be. I don't remember it seeming that way when I was a teenager. Although I'm sure my parents probably did.

Communication and words fascinate me, in case you hadn't figured that out by now. I'm intrigued by where these words come from, who creates them, who popularises them? Surprisingly, it sits perfectly with the concepts that I'm exploring from that choice little video that mum shared as well.

Serendipity perhaps, everything flows together eventually and oddly it makes some kind of sense.

Cheers, Fi
 
Serendipity. Look for something, find something else, and realise that what you've found is more suited to your needs than what you thought you were looking for ~ Lawrence Block

6 comments:

  1. Thanks. I learned my something new for today! Now I won't freak out when I see BFFL on my daughters' texting or emails. That one would have thrown me for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could assist with your 'learning' lol

      Delete
  2. I sure believe in that last quote...
    :)~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Urban Dictionary. Yes, heard of it and used it too having a few teens running around. Got to keep up with the lingo. And your killing me with the suspense with regard to the video.

    ReplyDelete

Everyone has something valuable to say and I would love for you to share your thoughts