Saturday, February 18, 2012

6WS - You forget how exhausting they are

I'm looking after my nephew tonight and last night I had my grandson for the night. Right about now I feel like I'm about 110 years old. I've definitely aged about 70 years in 24 hours.

My grandson has just discovered that he can crawl - my house is no longer set up for little kids, I'm thinking that will have to change very soon. My nephew is a 3 year old bundle of energy who moves at the speed of light and makes enough noise to mimic breaking the sound barrier. In fact I think he could probably talk underwater with a mouthful of marbles without a problem.

He's loud, he's over the top and then he gives me a gorgeous cheeky little grin and says "I love you Auntie Fi" and I'm lost. Hubby is on night shift tonight so trying to sleep with an exuberant toddler in the house is challenging but he's taking it with good grace. He'll probably be grumpy tomorrow once my nephew goes home.

I've forgotten what it's like to have inquisitive little people in the house, ones who are into everything or who want to question everything you do, everything they see and everything they hear. How on earth did I ever used to get anything done with three small children of my own?

Middle son is out with his girlfriend and youngest son has gone to a friends party. My teenagers have a better social life than I do. My sister-in-law and her mum are at a hens party and will be back later tonight and I believe my nephew has asked me when his cousins and his mum and nana will be back at least 300 times.

He's getting into sleeping mode on his little bed on my lounge room floor and he's stopped talking, he's still wriggling like a worm but that may be my last questions for tonight at least.

Well that's how my weekend is rolling, what's happening in your world.

Cheers, Fi

Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years.  We grow old by deserting our ideals.  Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul. ~ Samuel Ullman

I'm linking up with Cate who gives us all a place to visit and connect. Want to play along with Six Word Saturday, it's easy? All that's necessary to participate is to describe your life (or something) in a phrase using just six words. For more information, try clicking here. Feel free to explain or not explain. Add an image, a video, a song, nothing. 

11 comments:

  1. I was smiling when reading your words for today. I can imagine how exhausting it was with two little ones. But so much fun at the same time :)
    Hope you will have a relaxed sunday then!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you got your hands full. Love the closing Ullman quote.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The good thing is that you know you can give them back eventually :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds tiring, but fun...
    i get to hang out with kids this weekend too! it makes it so pleasant to come back to only one. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mother, who's a grandmother to 3, always says that's why young people become mothers - they have more energy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your closing quote.... and just think of it this way... when they go home you get to sleep or rest while their mother's are still on duty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...and as the saying goes remember....kids will keep YOU young! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I know how tiring it can be...but oh it is so much fun to have little ones around.

    Happy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Little ones do take alot of energy...haha...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had an interesting weekend. Our oldest went on her Oceanography field trip for 48 hours. Our youngest had a surprise sleepover Saturday night. What did hubby and I do? We were in bed, sleeping by 8:30 PM! I think we're getting old.

    ReplyDelete
  11. But why Aunti Fi?

    I can hear him now - my turn tomorrow! Yes, he's very loud!!!

    ReplyDelete

Everyone has something valuable to say and I would love for you to share your thoughts