Thursday, June 2, 2011

Colour me happy

I love colour (I'm probably stating the obvious on the off chance that you haven't already noticed my love of colour from my blog design). In fact I've always liked to surround myself with colour because it makes me feel happy.

This is a good thing when you're creating inspirational blogs, newsletters and fun informative presentations but I sometimes I have to reserve my love of colour in the corporate world. Unfortunately Board members and Executive Managers want facts in black and white and not colour - what boring old farts?

I wouldn't say that I like any particular colour but I like combinations of colour. Brightness and open well lit areas appeal. I find dark drab colours are depressing and de-motivating. Maybe that's why I also like spring and summer over winter (besides the fact that I abhor being cold)

So here's what the colours symbolise - which is your favourite?

Red is often considered a stimulant, and invariably draws attention.
Orange is fun and flamboyant and radiates warmth and energy.
Yellow is optimistic, enlightening, and happy.
Green symbolises new growth and freshness. Some shades of green are considered ‘institutional’ and are associated with illness and government-issued green cards which conjures up negative emotions, as do the "slimy" or "bilious" greens.
Blue is seen as trustworthy, dependable, and committed.
Purple has mystical and royal qualities and is often well liked by very creative or eccentric types.
Pinks can be youthful, fun, and exciting, and some have the same high energy as red; they are sensual and passionate without being too aggressive.
Brown says stability, reliability, and approachability and sometimes is considered drab and boring.
Gray is the color of intellect, knowledge, and wisdom.
Black is authoritative and powerful; because black can evoke strong emotions, too much can be overwhelming.
White projects purity, cleanliness, and neutrality.

Well the days are flying by at the moment, too much to do and not enough hours in the day to do them. My roller coaster ride (life) still has its ups and downs but the extremes aren't quite as bad. Ironically if I didn't have children then life would be smooth sailing with lots of yellows, greens and blues.

Having said that I wouldn't trade them for the world, partly because they contribute the reds, pinks and oranges to my life.

Middle MM appeared in court today and was let off with no record against his name. He will have to go to a conciliation conference with a police family support officer and may be financially liable for his portion of the damage to the car. I'm hoping that he learns his lesson from this incident because this truly blackens my days and my outlook.

That's my news for now, hope you're all filling your lives with colour and happiness or at the very least you're achieving a balance of them.

Cheers, Fi

Man needs colour to live; it's just as necessary an element as fire and water. ~ Fernand Leger

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome! Love the colour defs. I'm a purple girl -- and I wear lots of black and brown and white :)

    Today, may your world be filled with colour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Fiona!

    My favorite color is blue, but after reading this, I want it to be yellow now! Love the colors.

    Great news about Middle MM!

    Jen :)

    ReplyDelete

Everyone has something valuable to say and I would love for you to share your thoughts