Monday, March 14, 2011

Magic Numbers

Absolutely amazing - since Friday night I have written 6213 words, taking my grand total to 53273 words on my book (Woohoo!). I remember when I first started university and my lecturer told us we would have to write an assignment of 1500 words and I panicked because that seemed like so many words to write.

I have been saying since the age of eight that I would write a book and up until now that’s all it has been, me saying I was going to do it. Then a couple of years ago I promised myself I would do it before I turned forty. Last November I realised I was rapidly running out of time and I had twelve months to fulfill my promise to myself, so I began.

Now I find that it’s become a part of my life. I have roughly 20,000 – 25,000 words to go to finish it which compared to what I’ve already written, now seems like nothing. Of course there’s still editing and revising to be done but I’m nearly there. I’m starting to get edgy because in some ways I don’t want it to be finished. It’s also kinda scary because then I have to do something with it.

Sure I’ve written it for me but there’s also that part of you that wants to put it out there and see if it really is any good. This is obviously a daunting prospect because I’ve never done that before and am not entirely sure where to begin. The one thing I have learnt though is that there is a wealth of sound advice and information floating around on blogs that I visit from people who have done it, so when I’m ready I’ll start hunting for the answers.

My greatest lesson learnt through this process is that I’ve done it (well almost) and even if this one doesn’t get published I know now that I can do it. So if this one doesn’t get there, I will just try again until I do achieve my ultimate dream of a published book. The feeling is exhilarating and I can’t wait to finish it and finally say I did it.

My words of wisdom for all of you today – Dream it, Believe it and then Do it!

Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe ~ Gail Devers

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everyone has something valuable to say and I would love for you to share your thoughts