Sunday, October 28, 2012

Freedom of Speech

I'm all for freedom of speech as long as you're not being rude, abusive or bullying someone. That said and I inadvertently offended someone online the other day, which was never my intention and yet I can't explain nor can I apologise. Their loss though.

I joined a writers group on LinkedIn after some searching for the right group. I was a little dismayed once I was accepted, to read the group leaders' comment that anyone who hadn't commented within a two month period would be automatically removed from the group. Quite simply she didn't want lurkers within the group.

I find it strange because some of the greatest benefit I receive is from lurking I do around other people's blogs or LinkedIn groups. Some I comment on, some I buy their books, some I learn from what they post. Is lurking that wrong? I'm sure I have lurkers who visit here fairly regularly but who never comment. I don't have a problem with that.
  
Fair call though I guess, it's her group, her decision - I just didn't like the idea myself and said as much - politely and nicely as numerous other people on the site had. Two days as a member and suddenly I'm removed, what - for daring to voice my opinion in a nice, polite way?

I could have been abusive, I could have been rude and obnoxious. I wasn't. I was also not given an opportunity to explain or to 'chat' to the owner about my comments or her reasoning. That bugged me, but you know what - if I can't speak openly and honestly and voice my opinions then you're obviously not a group that I want to be a part of.

Being new to a blog or even a writers group can be quite daunting and I usually won't jump in and comment straight away - nor do I want to be forced to make inane comments just so I won't be removed.

Any of the blogs on my sidebar are ones I visit regularly, I may not comment on them all but they are in that list because I gain value from them in some way. 

I think I've found another group on LinkedIn+, I'll see how that pans out. I do know that I'll probably be a little bit more circumspect about comments I leave for a while.

So are you lurker or commenter? I guess if you're a lurker though then you won't be responding will you? Let it be known that lurkers and commenters are welcome here in equal measure, just be nice and respectful is all I ask.



12 comments:

  1. I hear ya. I have no problem with lurkers, I am a member of Backspace and while I comment from time to time, most of the insight I get is just from reading what other people are talking about. (Not to mention that most of the questions I have have already been asked, so a little searching is all I need to do unless I want to be really lazy, then I ask the question and usually get some good-hearted soul posting the link for the original post. Sweet people.) I wouldn't want to be part of the group you just mentioned either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Backspace - okay I have to go and find out what that is now. See that's added value from comments :-)

      Delete
    2. bksp.org - there's a yearly membership fee ($40 I think) but there's alot of very helpful information from published writers, both e-publishing and traditional, noobs like me, and agents. Very helpful website and forum. Glad I could offer something! :D

      Delete
  2. I love the quote at the end of your post! I've seen lots of groups who don't want to have lurkers, but I'm not sure why either. Like you, there are a lot of places I visit but don't always comment on. I would hate to get kicked out because of it. One example is a Facebook support group. I learn so much, but I really don't want to make it known that I am there. I'm sorry that the group leader didn't even give you a chance to make yourself understood. By the way, I'm writing on my blog again. You're welcome to lurk any time! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered how long it would take you - welcome back, I did miss you in the blogosphere :-)

      Delete
    2. *Grin* I made my decision days before Blogger would have deleted my blog for good. I just couldn't let years of thoughts and writing disappear like that.

      Delete
  3. I'm both -- I understand her position though -- it is the cooperative nature of the group -- just not very cooperative to remove you without any discourse though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I'm of the thinking if that many people aren't commenting where is the group direction going wrong? Well that's how I would feel as the organiser anyway

      Delete
  4. That is kind of weird. Sometimes we just don't have anything to say. When I don't, I lurk. Being removed without explanation is what's rude.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am both a lurker and commenter on many blogs/facebook groups, etc but you shouldnt have to comment. You may not have anything to say, don't feel comfortable for whatever reason, etc...Yeah I think it is odd/weird that they would have deleted you without even engageing with you a little bit. Like you said though probably really not a group you want to be part of anyways in light of that. Good luck in finding another group. And I like you, like lurkers or commenters, just as long as someone is reading my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I stumbled across a writers blog/community/forums and thought of you called studio30 I lurked a little bit...thought it might be of interest to you...hopefully not the one you wrote this post about...lol...

    ReplyDelete

Everyone has something valuable to say and I would love for you to share your thoughts