Saturday, October 6, 2012

6WS - I finally achieved my biggest goal

It seems like forever since I did a Six Word Saturday post. In the time that I've been missing in action, my grandson starting walking, my lounge room finally got painted (16 years after I stripped the wallpaper - because there's nothing like rushing things) and I also published my first novel on Kindle.

Okay so two of those things happened this week, the book and the loungeroom - so it's been a week of triumphs. Tonight I'm finally sitting back on my lounge to write, after a week of having to sit at the kitchen table to write. Just doesn't feel the same sitting at the kitchen table.

I look around my beautifully clean, freshly painted loungeroom and I smile because it looks so damn good. Ironic that I stripped the wallpaper when I was pregnant with my youngest son and it's actually him who painted it this week. Amazingly professional job for someone who has never painted before (he has a little bit of his perfectionist mother in him)

I sat on my finished novel for 12 months before I finally gathered up enough nerve this week to publish it and now I'm not sure why I waited so long. I'm really happy with it, the responses so far have been really postive and I guess my only frustration is a few quirks with  the formatting in Kindle.

I never really believed I could write a novel, despite a life long dream to do so. I could never get past the first few chapters before I got bored with it. Then this one spilled out and I was astounded that I actually wrote it, all 81,000 words of it.

Now despite ideas for new stories, that doubt is back again. How many times have I let fear or lack of faith slow me down? Way too many times to count. I think back to me at 20 and my limited confidence and then I look at me now, twenty years later at 40 and I know there's no comparison. Stands to reason that I'm going to be smoking hot by the time I'm 60.

I's all a learning curve though, if we don't learn from what we do then we're wasting our time. So when have you let fear slow you down?





I'm linking up with Cate who gives us all a place to visit and connect. Want to play along with Six Word Saturday, it's easy? All that's necessary to participate is to describe your life (or something) in a phrase using just six words. For more information, try clicking here. Feeel free to explain or not explain. Add an image, a video, a song, nothing.

10 comments:

  1. I can honestly say fear is not holding me back from anything at the moment. I guess almost dying last year or facing the possibility of NOT being able to do what I had worked so hard for (teach) really opened my eyes to a new way of living. I don't want for a whole lot though, either. My biggest dreams were fulfilled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy for you Karen, after what you went through - you deserve it

      Delete
  2. Congratulations. I am 60 and still think I am a hot 20 year old.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think if you don't have a little fear of doing something is it not worth doing. If everything was quick and easy to do, everyone would be doing it. To make a difference you have to take a chance. To quote Nike "Just do it!" :)
    btw: I need to "just do it" with a lot of things as well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tonya has a great point. All things worth doing come with a little fear.

      Delete
    2. I so agree, even though I had never thought about it like this. If it's not that important to us to inspire a little bit of fear then it's probably not what we should be aiming for.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on your publication! My 16 yo son still has his farm animal chair-rail border half-stripped. You give me hope...! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for you! My books are still in proofing!

    ReplyDelete

Everyone has something valuable to say and I would love for you to share your thoughts