Thursday, December 16, 2010

When I grow up....

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. Albert Einstein

I have decided that when I grow up, I want to sit on the Board of Directors for a national company. Imagine getting paid ludicrous amounts of money to fly around the country, get treated like royalty, attend a measly eleven meetings a year and all you have to do is give your opinion. I can so do that, where do I sign up?

Pardon my sarcasm, I'm feeling slightly disgruntled with the decision making process or slowness of it, not to mention bored out of my brain with doing very little each day whilst waiting for a decision. Luckily tomorrow is my last day and then 3 weeks of absolute bliss. Can't wait.

Admittedly today did give me time to create a new newsletter template and I am extremely happy with the result. So what if I'm beginning the January newsletter for the project in December. At least it's keeping me busy.

Was discussing the cleaners with a work colleague today and I commented that I felt extremely sorry for one of the cleaners. She is well advanced in years and looks to be in constant pain, yet is one of the happiest, cheeriest people I know. Every morning she gives me a cheerful hello. My thoughts were on the fact that she probably should retire, not that I voiced them.

I was absolutely shocked to hear that this poor woman has a husband who is a quadriplegic and she gets up at 2am every morning to help him with his exercises and get him ready before leaving to start work cleaning our building at 6am. She doesn't drive, so catches the bus at an ungodly hour for a mere 3 hours work a day.

The extra money she earns doesn't affect her pension and allows her to buy the few extras they need. Last year she saved up to buy her husband an electric wheelchair, she's now saving for a lounge suite. In future, when I moan and groan and feel hard done by, I will remember this story and realise how lucky I am.

I'm sure there are many people out there doing it tough, especially at this time of the year which saddens me and makes me especially grateful for my family and my life.

Ciao for now, Fi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everyone has something valuable to say and I would love for you to share your thoughts