Saturday, December 11, 2010

On my soapbox

Trust the dreams for hidden in them is the gate to eternity. Kahlil Gibran

Another night of bliss is upon me, MM's are all out for the night and I am stationed in front of my laptop. We are now 11 days into Summer, not that you would know it, becuse it's cold and raining. I'm beginning to wonder if summer is ever going to arrive. Half of Australia is under water at the moment. Well that's probably a slight exaggeration, but a large number of towns on the East coast are flooded due to large and unprecedented rainfall.

You will be very proud of me, I took my own advice today and kept my mouth shut, despite the urge to loudly and clearly voice my displeasure. Hubby had a guy around on Wednesday to fit a roller door to the 'Taj Mahal' in our backyard. The 'moron' contractor forgot the tracks for the door. So while the roller door was fitted, it could not be used. Okay fair enough we all forget things, so I can cut the guy some slack.

He said he would be back at 8am this morning. Youngest MM (much to his disgust) dragged his butt out of bed at 7.30am this morning to greet the guy as hubby was at work. I even took pity on MM and dragged myself out of my nice warm bed shortly after he got up. At 10am with no sign of the 'moron' (and no courtesy call to explain his lack of appearance) I went shopping.

Hubby rang the guy at 2pm and received an explanation that he had got held up and would be there at 3. I for one was not happy with this shoddy behaviour, but not for me to comment, hubby was annoyed enough. At 4.30 hubby rang the 'moron' again and was told he was half an hour away. I was meant to be dropping hubby and a mate off at their work show at 6.

This guy finally showed up at 5.15. Sorry, but to me this is totally unacceptable. I was expecting a young lad, my apologies for stereotyping, but I figured it's usually the younger ones who lack the decorum and good manners to simply pick up a phone and explain their delay. Bugger me if this guy wasn't a day under 50 (and that's being generous). I bit my tongue, in fact I walked away because I was all set to explain exactly what good manners and reliability was to this twit.

The guy packed up and left at 6.30, yes the door works fine and looks very good also, but we were half an hour late dropping hubby off at his work show. Anyone who knows my hubby will know that he is also not afraid to voice his opinion, however not a word was said to this 'delinquent' for his unreliability. I guess once you've already paid the cash and are reliant on the job being completed you don't want to risk upsetting the apple cart, but geesh! Never again will I stereotype the 'younger' generation.

While I'm on my soapbox, I discovered something else tonight which I am at odds to understand. Why the hell can't you get a 10 cent refund on milk cartons? In Adelaide you get 10 cents for every can and soft drink bottle that you take to a recycling depot, this is also possible on iced coffee cartons and fruit juice cartons. So why not on milk cartons? My family goes through 12-15 litres of milk a week (yes I should own a cow) Think how much money I could make on recycling milk cartons.

Okay, I've voiced enough of my opinions for tonight. I'm off to make the most of the peace and quiet and write some more of the 'Great Australian' novel, well my current work in progress at least.

Ciao for now, Fi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everyone has something valuable to say and I would love for you to share your thoughts