Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Red sky in the morning...

This morning at 5.45am the sky was a blaze of brilliant red colour. My mother used to tell me as a child that red sky at night meant shepherds delight; and red sky in the morning was shepherds warning. It's strange the things that stay with us from our childhood.

I knew today was going to be a tough day, the red sky only confirmed it for me.

So what if the red sky is meant to relate more to the weather than life in general, it can be anything I want it to be.

I've lived through four company restructures now, working in Human Resource and Change roles, it's kind of unavoidable. I've known the people who were going, cared about many of them and even cried with several of them.

At my previous workplace even my position was made redundant and yet I had choice. My boss had already left and I was fortunate to transfer to the parent company with him. I also finalised others redundancy contracts before I left and basically 'turned' off the lights as I left in a manner of speaking.

Mine wasn't true redundancy in the real meaning of the word. Not gut clenching, knock down shock that your job and your daily routine has been turned on its ear. Now just more than two years later we find ourselves amidst the drama again.

I hate business restructures, there's not one nice thing about them. That's all I need to say on the subject, just so you understand why today was a red sky morning. That and the fact that today is my last day of being 40.

Tomorrow I turn 41 years old. I've always dreaded my birthdays, I'm not sure why either. It's a day just to be rushed through and be done with. Hubby is frustrated because I can not come up with one single thing that I want for my birthday - not one.

That's not me being coy or playing games either. I simply don't want or need anything, other than perhaps a trip to Thailand, but that's probably a little bit over the birthday spend budget and not feasible in the foreseeable future.

I have decided I will get a tattoo on my foot, after months of dithering and talking about it, but everything I've read and heard tells me this is painful and not conducive with wearing high heels for work. So I will wait for my holidays to do that when I can slop around with bare feet for a few days..

Hayfever is killing me at the moment, I haven't had it quite so bad for years, but this year is exceptionally horrendous. I feel like scratching my eyes out of my head at the moment.

Ahhh the magnificent joys of old age, you become easily redundant and you sniff and snort a lot. I'm sure it can only get better, as long as I don't lose my sense of humour I'll be fine. Have a good week all.






9 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Fi! I hope your day is wonderful- more than just another one to get through. Not having something you want is actual a great thing. It means you are content with life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Never thought of it that way Karen - but I think you're right. I am content

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday!! Have a fantastic day!
    P.S. I love your writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janie both for the birthday wishes and the comment about my writing - that certainly put a smile on my face and a zip in my step today

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday Fi! What about a weekend alone, a couple books, computer to write on and several bottles of wine....that sounds like a fab birthday present to me...and your hubby would probably go for it...send him off somewhere...lol....I totally hear you about the job changes, restructuring, etc...but remember we are in the change business...lol...The company I work for, for now, has a meeting today to go over some major upcoming changes with our business model something I tried to get people on almost 2 years ago and look exactly what I said was going to happen, is happening, we are losing a few big clients because we didnt change and now we are 2 years behind...uggghhh...Change, adapt, or be left behind...isnt that what we always say? Hopefully you will have a good day tomorrow, require it! It's your birthday, don't let anyone or anything get you down. Sorry about your hayfever, a glass of wine or two might help put you out of your misery..Just sayin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn - I think you and I pretty much exist in parallel universes. Hope your day goes okay and yes books, writing, alone time - mmm my idea of bliss

      Delete
  4. Have a great birthday! Look at it this way, any day you get cake and presents CAN'T be bad! :) I hear ya on the not wanting/needing anything, though. My last birthday hubby kept asking me what did I want, I wasn't kidding when I told him to take the kids and go somewhere for a few hours. Really, I wasn't kidding...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Now if only we could figure out how to bottle 'alone' time for mums

      Delete
  5. The 40s are awesome!!!! You'll do them honour with your presence.

    happy birthday! tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete

Everyone has something valuable to say and I would love for you to share your thoughts