Monday, August 9, 2010

Comfort Zone

Choose a job that you love and you will never have to work a day in your life - Confucious

Day 1 at the new job and I won't forget it in a hurry. Half way through the day and some poor kid lost control of her car and hit the end of the building that we were having training in, slid along the guardrail, took out two fences and then got airborne and ended up into the construction site behind the main building.

She walked away with barely a mark on her, the car is totally stuffed but she's alright. There was definitely someone watching over this kid, because she missed the main electrical box for the company and a stobie pole by only feet. For those non South Australians, a stobie pole is a massively ugly concrete incased power pole that only South Australians are lucky enough to have in their state.

I found it very disconcerting today being in a building where I didn't know who was in charge of things or where things were. Especially in the case of an accident, where we were the first people in contact with this person. I calmed her down, sat her in a chair and got all of her details - after sending someone for help.

I'm used to working in HR and knowing the site and the people who take care of things. I didn't even know the pincode for the gates or what time they lock the gates at the end of the day. Because I'm in training, I won't do my official induction until next week.

Training was interesting - the concepts of Project Management are quite daunting when you consider the size of the project that I am going to be working on. It's all a massive learning curve and is quite unsettling when you step out of your comfort zone.

Cheers for now

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everyone has something valuable to say and I would love for you to share your thoughts