My most recent ‘needed’ message was from a former boss yesterday. Things have been a kind of tough in my little world lately and he knows me fairly well. The post was titled “15 Things You Should Give Up To Be Happy”.
1. Give up your need to always be right
2. Give up your need for control
3. Give up on blame
4. Give up on your self-defeating self-talk
5. Give up your limiting beliefs about what you can or cannot do, about what is possible or impossible
6. Give up on complaining
7. Give up the luxury of criticism
8. Give up your need to impress others
9. Give up your resistance to change
10. Give up labels
11. Give up your fears
12. Give up your excuses
13. Give up the past
14. Give up attachment
15. Give up living your life to other people’s expectations
I’m generally a positive thinker and I like to look on the bright side, but I’m also a worrier and a bit of a resistance fighter (resistant to change) – so that would be numbers 2 and 9 above in the list of things I need to give up. Numbers 1 and 4 probably figure fairly high in my equation as well.
There seems to be so much drama and chaos in my family at the moment and my urge to control often overrides my belief that everything happens for a reason. I know I need to step back and let those going through the chaos find a way out for themselves and be able to learn from their mistakes. Unfortunately, it’s the mama bear in me wanting to make everything right and protect my love ones from any pain that tends to get in the way.
I’m full of clichés today (whatever works though) and like the mother bird who boots her babies out of the nest so they can learn to fly, I’m endeavoring to step back so they can find their wings. They can learn to fly all on their own and I’ll concentrate on ‘giving up’ on things.
So, what do you need to give up?