Sunday, July 6, 2014

The first signs of old age

You know you're getting old when you forgo sleep-ins to get all the things done that you want to get done. Especially if you're not a morning person and every weekend used to be about sleeping in.

The truth is I'm getting old! For as long as I can remember, my favourite part of the week was weekend sleep-ins. I lived for them, I moaned when I didn't get them because of kids sports activities and all of the kazillion other things I had to do.

Now with every second weekend taken up with school you'd think I'd appreciate sleep in opportunities even more. Yesterday on day one of my sleep in weekend I got up early and drove into the city for a goal setting workshop. Thoroughly enjoyable way to spend a morning when you can't be sleeping.

This morning though I was out of bed at 7.30 because I had a list of things to do which was a mile long and because over night I obviously just got old. First comes the nanna naps and then comes the giving up weekend sleep ins.

It's quite tragic that I had to write a list of the 15 things I had to get done today to make sure I didn't forget anything. I got 14 of them done, actually writing this post is number 14 and it's 10.06pm so I think that's the day done for any more list items.

This week has been a busy one, outside of work I had my second catch up with my new mentor from the university on Wednesday, attended a presentation on creativity on Thursday, and then yesterday attended my goal setting workshop and also got my hair all cut off.

I like my hair, but it's quite short, heck its very short. I have a sensational hairdresser though, who's damn good at what she does and knows me well. So when she says trust me, I know she will look after me. Besides, I was beyond sick of taking ages to dry my hair in the mornings when it's so cold.

Egads that must be another sign of getting old, cutting your hair short to minimise hairstyling time.

This week is another busy week, on top of my normal work week I have a seminar presentation on Agile Project Management on Wednesday and a trip to visit the family in the Riverland for the weekend for my niece and nephews birthdays and leaving Friday.

My brother and sister-in-laws house - now there's a place where sleep-ins don't happen, but not through choice it's just an inevitable result of having little ones. I go for a visit for a couple of days and I'm glad to come home because you forget how exhausting little ones are - another sure sign of old age.

I'm looking forward to a weekend where there's nothing to do but sit around and chat, relax and enjoy myself with my family. No school work and no housework in sight.

These days I feel like there's so much to do, so much to discover, so many things to explore - shit I should have found this zip and zest for life 10 years ago.

Now it's time to run away to bed, my weekdays start at 5.30 these days so that I have time to get on the treadmill and kick start my 10,000 steps which I have to walk each day. What am I talking about, that makes getting up at 7.30 this morning a 2 hour sleep in, so I do still have sleep ins, I mustn't be old after all.

Ahhh but I do miss those 10am and 11am sleep-ins of my youth.

Hope you've found the elixir of youth, or at least still enjoy the odd sleep in.

Cheers, Fi






2 comments:

  1. Hello Fi! I have never been a sleeper-inner. Never. So.... I don't think it's age. :) I think it's our circadian cycles!

    See. You're not getting old, it's just your circadian clock adjusting to life!

    And btw -- your life sounds very, very busy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello right back at you stranger. Circadian cycles, I like the sound of them, I'll have to go and read up some more on them. Yes life has been busy, busy and I have been neglectful in blogging and commenting but I have also realised just recently that I don't need to apologise for being busy because I can only do what I can do and that wisdom which definitely comes with age :-)

      Delete

Everyone has something valuable to say and I would love for you to share your thoughts