Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Memories are Forever

Memories are a way of holding onto the things you love, the things you are, the things you never want to lose. ~The Wonder Years

Memories are amazing things and they drift back to you when you least expect them. So many things can trigger their return - items, places, sounds, smells, the words of a song can release them from their hiding place and bring them back into your heart.

My youngest MM was doing a school project the other day and asked for details of his childhood – first words, foods, holidays etc. I am amazed by how much vanishes from your mind until you have to actually focus on recalling the details. Heaven help me in another ten to twenty years time.

I have always been a hoarder of physical memories, so off I went to unearth my keepsake box which contains a lifetime of memories.

What a treasure trove I discovered – so many things that I’d forgotten I had. I found photos and diaries of each child’s major milestones, as well as hospital birth tags, locks of hair from first haircuts, a plaster cast from middle MM’s broken wrist, oldest MM’s first pair of glasses, birthday cards, childcare and school records and so much more.

Hubby would argue that my box of ‘valuables’ is merely taking up space in the cupboard, but as I sat there the other night going through this box with my youngest MM, I was besieged by memories. My son was amazed by some of the things that I had kept, truth be known even I was amazed by what I had kept.

My foraging reawakened long forgotten memories and provided some quality time with my youngest as I shared stories behind some of the items in that box.

Ever the modern and practical child, he told me that I should be transferring all of the photos and items to digital format so that if we ever suffer through floods or fires, then we will still have the memories (he has recently witnessed a lot of Mother Nature’s fury on Australians through the media)

I understand his thoughts but I am still left wondering how I capture the plaster cast, or locks of hair in their true form through digital format. Some things you just have to be able to touch and smell.

Regardless of their form, our memories are forever in our hearts and are special reminders of what we were and how far we’ve come.

Cheers, Fi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everyone has something valuable to say and I would love for you to share your thoughts