Friday, October 29, 2010

A day in the life.....

Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit. ~Elbert Hubbard

Today I'm having one of those days when I feel like I should be doing more to realise my dreams, I should be putting more effort into my writing and my long term goals. It's hard though when sometimes I'm not sure what it is I really want.

My new job has settled into an easy and steady pattern. Gone are the days of stress and anguish, which is refreshing and has been a long time coming. Now we just play a waiting game as we wait for the Board to give final approval for the project, that's not to say we are sitting around with nothing to do. At the moment we are studiously dotting the i's and crossing the t's.

I am fighting a never ending battle with maintaining all project documentation and version control. Not too bad with only 3 of us directly linked with the project at the moment. God knows how I do it once we have 60 - 70 people in the project team. I just want us to get started.

We have a very small window for the implementation partners to finalise the Statement of Work and all the timelines and costings for the project so that we make the November Board meeting, otherwise we don't get another chance until February. It's frustrating when it's not us holding up the process.

We have monthly meetings with our 6 separate Business Councils who all represent different Business Units within our company and I am getting a marvellous opportunity to meet a wide spectrum of people. All people with diverse personalities who are fascinating to sit back and watch. It's intriguing to imagine how all of these people are going to work on top of each other over the 3 year life of the project and not have the urge to strangle each other.

This project will be the best research for a best selling novel that I could ever experience. Don't they say that the best way to discover the true nature of people is to throw them together and impose some form of stress. Well if someone else hasn't said it, I just have.

The girls from my old work sound like they have had a bad week at work according to the chattering on Facebook which is distressing for me. I guess it just makes me realise how lucky I was to get out when I did. I'll catch up with them on Sunday at a jewellery party and get the lowdown. At least they no longer have to tolerate 'Clayton'.

On the subject of Facebook, how's this for a coincidence? 3 weeks ago I read the book 'The Accidental Billionaire', I had no idea what it was about until I picked it up at the library - I was just scouting through business books etc. Next week the movie 'The Social Network' is opening at the cinemas - a movie about Mark Zuckerberg - the creator of Facebook and ironically the same story as the book I read only a couple of weeks ago, how's that for irony.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everyone has something valuable to say and I would love for you to share your thoughts