Friday, October 22, 2010

The Road Ahead

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" – Lewis Carroll

I am starting to map out my next 3 years in terms of goals and career progression. If the project gets board approval, we're looking at possibly 3 - 4 years. I have that time to not only soak up every piece of information I can on the project, but also that time to add to my education so that I am in the right position to take the next step up the ladder.

This project has helped provide clarity and has also confirmed what I already knew deep down. Communications is where I want to go and not Human Resources. I loved my former job but there were parts of it that I really disliked and was not comfortable with. The communications aspect and this leading into change management was the angle that I enjoyed and is definitely where my strengths and passion lie.

So having said that, I am following through on advice that I gathered from a women's networking forum the other day and investigating my next education goal. The other thing I learnt from our speaker the other day, which I know is going to be my greatest struggle, is learning to shut my mouth and just listen and absorb. Far too often I open my mouth, not that bad things or stupid things come out, but I just need to listen.

I will finalise my Diploma of Business and Certificate 4 in Project Management by the 3rd December in terms of final assessments and then in the new year I plan on starting a Certificate 4 in Communications and Media. I've done some extensive research on the type of job roles I want to aim for and the qualifications required. I considered a degree, however the cost is prohibitive when a lot of what is covered I have already covered with my Arts degree and my Management course.

As a result of the Women's Networking Forum I am a part of, my company is also offering the option of mentoring, which is something I'm thinking I should take advantage of. Why does this fill me with trepidation and discomfort? Obviously because it will force me to step outside of my comfort zone, huh and I've never had to do that before. Stepping outside the box is the only way forward, followed by planning and more planning, followed by simply doing it and not just talking about it.

Cheers for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everyone has something valuable to say and I would love for you to share your thoughts