Sunday, December 21, 2014

All because I believed....

There's something just a little bit exciting at the outset of your holidays when it stretches before you with nothing more pressing on the agenda than rest, relaxation and some time with family and friends. Plus there's plenty of opportunities for me to do some of the things which I've had on hold due to a lack of time to do them.

Up until yesterday I had not done one bit of Christmas shopping. I went Christmas shopping today, amongst the crazy Christmas shoppers and believe it or not I had a smile on my face the whole day. The people and the craziness didn't bother me, I even sympathised with the poor over worked and understaffed employees at Toys-r-us.

I can't remember ever hitting the shops less than a week out from Christmas and having a smile on my face. There's a first for everything.

I had a win at Toys-r-us, the three wheeler bike that I wanted to get for my grandson had the 'temporarily out of stock' label on it, in fact nearly every single trike and bike had that sticker. At this time of year I'm not sure how it happens that they don't have extra stock, but oh well.

So I wandered around looking for gifts for my niece and nephew and by some wonderful sense of fortune I found exactly that trike (and the colour I wanted) in a box on a high shelf where no-one else had obviously looked. The only one of any sort of trike which was left - yay me.

Yes I raised my eyes skyward and said a thank you to the universe for assisting. I found everything I wanted for gifts and yes maybe it was because I approached my shopping with a positive outlook, either way it made the day easier by being positive.

I also got a phone call about two other gifts that we'd be waiting on and which we'd been told were out of stock and would not arrive until the 5th Jan. Some how though an order had fallen through and two of what we wanted were available for pick-up today.

The universe is smiling on me this week and it's hard after some of the most horrendous happenings both in Australia and even the world this week. I will not dwell on them or make comment only to say the events are beyond comprehension and incredibly sad for all involved or affected by them.

I am merely grateful for everything I have and the small things which make me smile. Sadly some will have little to smile about at this time of the year and that in itself is a sobering thought.

I took my son and grandson to Renmark last weekend for my baby brother's 40th birthday which was combined with his future mother-in-law's 60th birthday. We were all pleasantly surprised when my brother and his fiance sprang a surprise wedding on the almost 80 guests who attended. So incredibly glad I was there.

It was definitely the best wedding I've ever been to, no fuss, no pomp and ceremony and just plain good fun. It was in essence a wedding which encompassed the type of people they are, the way they live their lives and what's most important to them. It was a relaxed and enjoyable beautiful backyard wedding amongst the people they love.

Okay so I blubbered like a baby because I was so happy for them both. It was merely formalities really, they've been together for 11 years and have two kids but now I officially have a sister and that's a little bit exciting because I love her to bits already.

An additional bonus this week is hubby unexpectedly getting several days off over the Christmas break, this is unheard of normally but provides another opportunity to visit my family in Renmark over the Christmas break and get in some boating time on the river. Plus the boys are understandably unhappy about having the house to themselves while we're gone - NOT!

This might be my last post for 2014, only because they've been fewer and farther apart over the last few months due to time constraints. This year has been a big one for me, all of it the result of me stepping out of my comfort zone late last year and realising I am capable of so much more. It was one of the best first moves I ever made and boy have I learnt so much this year

I started 2014 with this tattoo and it's been my biggest lesson this year. I have to believe in me and all that I can be.

I have a long way to go, but this year was about everything finally coming together and starting to make sense. You know when you're a kid and they ask you what you want to be when you grow up.

It's taken me 43 years to know what I want to be when I grow up, I simply want to be happy. The reality is that what makes me happy will change as I grow and change and that's okay too.

Also important to realise for me was that staying stuck in one place and not taking action doesn't allow me to grow and change. The thing is there's no perfect time to start something or to go after what you want, you just have to start.

This year I started my MBA, despite it scaring the bee-jeezus out of me, and now I'm a mere 3 subjects from finishing. I also learnt how to do instructional design, got accreditation in elearning and training and I've found something which I love and which I'm really good at. Who would have thought.

We also got to Thailand in March and took our youngest boys on their first overseas journey, something I promised myself last year that I would do. I also joined the gym and now go regularly twice a week. So many things I planned on doing and am now doing or have done.

One thing fell by the wayside this year and that was writing my next book. I seriously underestimated the energy required to study for a masters degree whilst working full time, but that's all good, the book is still in my head and the outline is written down - it will come.

All that I achieved in 2014 blows my mind and I have bigger plans for 2015, this year was about setting up the framework and next year is abut me learning to soar. Why....because I believe.

So what are your plans for Christmas and the coming year?

Cheers, Fi



No comments:

Post a Comment

Everyone has something valuable to say and I would love for you to share your thoughts