Sunday, March 8, 2015

Second Chances

Frustrated beyond belief with the low life's who took a hard earned reward and destroyed it just because they could.

My 17 year old sons motorbike was stolen from outside the pub where he works last night, a motorbike that he saved up every hard earned cent to buy all by himself.

It's not that it's not repairable, we're pretty sure it is and thankfully it was insured, but it doesn't make it any less annoying. He's still out of pocket for the insurance excess which is a huge amount for a young lad and while it'll be fixed, it won't be with original parts (they're no longer available) nor will it have the same value it once did regardless of what the insurance company does.

The last 12 months for me have been a huge learning curve and growing phase as I start to understand my beliefs and my thoughts and how that guides my behaviour. In simple terms, I'm trying really hard to be mindful of what I think and how I act. Positive input means positive outcomes.

That becomes much more challenging when my beliefs about theft are quite strong and when my instinct as a mother is to protect my child and at the moment I'm resisting the urge to want to find these low life's and throttle them.

Deep breath...what goes around, comes around. They will get what's coming to them and I won't need to do anything, that too is how things roll.

An interesting side subject here, while I'm on the subject of criminals and low life's, and a subject which stems from the considerable media interest at the moment with the impending Bali Nine executions.

It's a subject which has divided the nation and even my household and which makes my stomach churn. It's a topic which challenges many of my beliefs because I don't condone crime or drug trafficking in any shape or form, but I also have strong beliefs on the right to life and that any person can be reformed if given the opportunity.

So coming from a place of beginning to understand how our beliefs and thoughts can guide our behaviour and how they can be changed, then yes I fully believe that everyone deserves a second chance and while I'm not saying they should be released, I do believe they should be saved from execution.

If these guys are successfully developing / contributing to reform programs for other prisoners then surely Indonesia need to look at the on-going value they can contribute to rehabilitating Indonesian prisoners. Death is such a nasty finality and while I also understand heroin kills, like for like is never the answer.

Spending the rest of your natural life atoning for those sins and doing good things for others is surely a better focus to have.

It brings me back to trying to understanding what motivates a person to carry out a criminal act, what beliefs and thoughts go through a person's head. Why does anyone do what they do?

Okay I'm climbing down off my soapbox once again. I realise there are many who probably won't agree with my thoughts or opinions and that's fine. That's in fact the beauty of a person's right to freedom of speech and I ask that any comments be kept respectful in line with that belief.

Cheers, Fi











3 comments:

  1. Hmmm.... if I am 'recommenting', please ignore this one -- see even Blogger has little gremlins stealing words!

    So sorry to hear of your son's sad event -- ugh! It does make me sad that others feel they have the right to take what they want because they want it - regardless of the impact on others.

    And, yes, I agree -- like for like does not change anything. And taking a life, no matter how righteously we justify it, is still the taking of a life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! This is an awesome article, it really answered a lot of my questions. Thanks for all...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about your son's incident. Thieves really irk me.

    ReplyDelete

Everyone has something valuable to say and I would love for you to share your thoughts