Thursday, December 29, 2011

What's in a word?

I follow the blogs of some very enlightened people who have some great ideas. Louise mentioned this website Abbey of the Arts in deciding on her 'word' for the coming year. So of course because I appreciate so much of what Louise recommends I had to go look.

This site has started a tradition based on an age old idea to ask for a word –  this word or phrase would be something on which to ponder for many days, weeks, months, sometimes a whole lifetime.......something to nourish me, challenge me, a word I can wrestle with and grow into. 
 
I read about it when Louise did it last year and then when I read about it again this week on her blog for the coming year, I knew that I had to do it. I had to decide on a word for the year which would define my goals.

It's funny because I wanted to come up with a really 'cool' word, a word that would be special in terms of what I want to achieve in 2012. A word that wasn't too obvious, that was a little bit special. Louise's new word is 'suppleness' - now that's a cool word. 

Sometimes though you can't fight what is meant to be, so I stopped fighting and went with the word that needed to be. Everywhere I've turned in the last few days, I've found this word and then when I read a quote today in the book I'm reading I realised it doesn't matter how obvious the word is, it's the one that's going to define me in 2012.

The quote I read was "Belief is the only thing that stands between you and success"

So my word for 2012 is:



Belief in myself, belief in my success, belief in my family, belief in the universe that everything will be as it is meant to be. Belief that I can make a difference and that I will succeed. Belief is the first and most important step.

So that really assists me with deciding what I want my next tattoo to be, similar to what I already posted but slightly different. Brings to mind my favourite Balinese saying - 'Same, same, but different'. Anyway this symbol below means - belief.


So, do you have a word for the coming year? I'd love to hear what it is and why you've chosen it.

Cheers, Fi

Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace. ~ Buddha  

4 comments:

  1. I love your word Fi -- it is one of the most challenging words to embrace because it means we must... believe.

    And I really really like that symbol!!! very cool.

    Thanks for the mentions too :) You are amazing and always fill me with delight and light. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool. I am going to have to check the site out and see what my *word* is. And now you have it, the tattoo you were meant to get. Belief, Believe, is an awesome tattoo. I have often thought about getting the symbols for Live, Laugh, Love or Breath.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made a post about this on my Dutch blog last week, so I'm thrilled to find the English version. :)

    'Belief' is a strong and hopeful word Fi.

    My choice for 2012 is 'Focus'. Because family friends and other people deserve it. Because the things I do deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great word for the year, Fi. There is so much you can with that as a focus.

    ReplyDelete

Everyone has something valuable to say and I would love for you to share your thoughts